Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Big Green Egg Steaks

The Big Green Egg. I love this thing. It grills, it smokes, it bakes. It does it all. I've seen one of these things turn a thermometer over twice. My grandfather wasn't paying attention and what he thought was 600 degrees was actually more like 1300 degrees. When he opened the top of the BGE, the oxygen around the grill rushed in ignited and made a pretty awesome fireball.

Speaking of awesome...these
were 8.99 a pound. That might not sound cheap but thats's almost half off the typical price for ribeyes...and these were gorgeous. Smothered in salt, pepper, and some rub that I randomly found at Spec's today that my father in law swears by. Lysander's. It was okay. Seemed really heavy on the onion salt and untoasted cumin.
I also made some mashed potatoes and grilled corn. The mashed potatoes were flavored with heavy cream and butter. Melt the two together and get mashing. The corn I cooked on the grill while the steaks were resting. Rub down with butter, sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, microplane some blood orange zest and parmesan on top.I will admit I totally stole this idea from my job. They do their corn this way and it really is the best way to eat corn. They usually use lemon zest and so do I but I had a ton of blood oranges on hand. More on that later...

Look at that huge steak. I took the big one, Amy got the smaller one that was still over a pound. I finished mine and took a nap. It was awesome. While I'd love to say this was a perfect plate of food, I can't. The mashed potatoes were almost hilariously over salted. I bought a big box of kosher salt and haven't transferred it into to anything I can pinch it out of. So I'm pouring out of the spout and sometimes I get carried away. The steak, however,was perfect. Top 5 steaks I've ever had. I tried to take a picture of the inside but I suck at camera. I'll post it anyway...I remember what it looked like.Back to the blood oranges. The ones I used for the vinaigrette yesterday were the best I've ever had. I bought about 3 pounds today to make some sorbet. I got about 2 cups of juice out of them and melted in a little under a half a cup of sugar and a little bit of Ayinger Brau-Weisse. Chill, mix in ice cram mixer attachment to the Kitchen-Aid, and freeze it for FAR less than the required amount of time. It makes it more like a ballpark frozen lemonade consistency that I prefer to an actual sorbet. Amy and I got to it before the camera did, but I can assure you it was delicious. It doesn't look as pretty as it does when you let it freeze to sorbet consistency, but it tastes better my way.

1 comment:

  1. I love the BGE! My Dad has one. That will be my first purchase whenever we buy our first home.

    ReplyDelete