Thursday, November 12, 2009

Warning: Pike Entire Wood Aged Stout

I was excited when I saw a lone bottle of this brew I had been dying to try on the shelves at Spec's Arborwalk today. Naturally, I picked up the bottle and rushed home to put it in the fridge.

Upon opening the brew I did the requisite bottle smell to get a taste of how it would smell in the snifter. I was disappointed to find a slightly funky tart smell. Unless the stout you are smelling is Jolly Pumpkin's Madrugada Obscura, this is never a good sign.

The pour proved even more disastrous. While I was using an 8oz snifter, it's probably easier to imagine a pour of about 2oz of beer...and 14oz. of foam in a pint glass. It took about 5 minutes to die down to drinking consistency, where it was confirmed that this brew was definitely infected.

I wish I had taken a picture of this disaster but I was so angered at the loss of my precious beer budget money on 11 bucks worth of worthless brew.

I've had less than stellar experiences with Pike Brewing in the past, and this put me off of them entirely.

Spend your money elsewhere.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the Pike Entire Wood Aged Stout 2009. I sampled it last night with a group of homebrewers and they enjoyed it as well. It was funky (many agreed it had unintentional Brett), had really rocky head but it had an awesome flavor. Sorry you didn't like it. You should really try to find it and sample it again.

    ReplyDelete